Membership at Chestnut Ridge Church
What does membership at The Ridge look like?
At Chestnut Ridge Church, the idea of “membership” within the church is viewed as a “partnership” with the church. Many churches encourage their attendees to become “members.” Here at The Ridge, attendees are encouraged to become “partners” with the church to grow in their relationship with God and others.
How is membership different from partnership?
- Membership is something you join; Partnership is something you invest in;
- Membership operates as one-directional; Partnership is bi-directional;
- Membership is often about privileges; Partnership is about shared responsibilities.
There are at least three reasons for becoming a partner with Chestnut Ridge Church:
1. The concept of partnership is biblical.
2. Formal partnership with the church is valuable to the pastors and leaders of the church as they seek to fulfill their God-given task of leading others.
3. Experience shows that partnership with the church benefits the individual.
Taking Steps toward Becoming a Partner
Partnership with Chestnut Ridge Church might differ from your experience in other churches, where an emphasis is placed on membership within the local body. Partnership is seen as an ongoing process of participating in what the local body is doing by gathering, connecting, serving, giving and inviting.
All those who have placed their faith in Christ become a part of Jesus’ church in the world;¹ however, the Bible urges all of us to continue growing by becoming a part of a specific local gathering². Here at The Ridge, we identify those who have taken the steps to become “partners” as those who are connected to what we are doing as a church. At CRC, there are three steps required for formal entrance into partnership:
1. Becoming a Christian
2. Participating in the outward symbol of partnership in the church: a believer’s baptism (being baptized after putting your faith in Christ)
3. Committing to an ongoing partnership with the church: those willing to Gather, Connect, Serve, Give & Invite
Becoming a Partner
Take some time to get to know us, get connected, and get involved — in other words, to become someone who is on their way to becoming a partner, as one who is onboard with us in helping people grow in their relationship with God and others. Partners are those who say, “I’m in. Let’s do this together. Let’s gather, let’s connect, let’s serve, let’s give, let’s invite, let’s grow, and let’s make a difference.”
Do you want to learn…
…more about the church?
…how you can be a part of it?
…what partnership might look like?
…what your next step at Chestnut Ridge Church might be?
When you decide The Ridge is the place you want to call “home,” you are encouraged to to take a next step to get plugged in, if you haven’t done so already. Perhaps Starting Point is the place for you? Maybe you are ready to connect with others in a group? You might be ready to make a difference in the lives of others by serving and helping to make a difference in the weekend services. Perhaps you are ready to share your faith and some of your story with others by being baptized.
When you’re ready, we’d be happy to add your name to a list for the next partnership class, called Getting to Know The Ridge. It is held 2-3 times a year, and you can contact us here.