You have decided to get married!
We are glad you are considering Chestnut Ridge Church to share in your marriage. Great marriages don’t just happen on their own… Great marriages take preparation and hard work. In this regard, we think of marriage in two ways: preparing for a great marriage, and working to maintain a great marriage.
We encourage you to begin the premarital process one year before your wedding date; however, you must begin the program a minimum of six months prior to your wedding date. In addition, you must be attending CRC on a regular basis, or have a parent/s who attend on a regular basis and have been doing so for at least the past six months.
Below are some important pieces of information that will help guide you through the process of a wedding at CRC.
OUR WEDDING PROCESS
- Couple reads through the Chestnut Ridge Church Wedding Policies together.
- Couple fills out our Wedding Registration Form together.
- Couple has a conversation and meeting with our LifeCare Director.
- Couple schedules and attends Marriage One Day.
- Couple gets married (HOORAY!).
OUR WEDDING POLICIES
Chestnut Ridge Church will not join an unbeliever to a believer in marriage (2 Corinthians 6:14-18).
The Bible is clear about spiritual compatibility between marriage partners.
- At least one of the people being married must be a Chestnut Ridge Church regular attendee (attending at least twice a month), who has been here for at least six months or have a parent who is a regular attendee.
- We prefer the bride and groom to have maintained a dating relationship for a minimum of one year before their wedding date.
- The bride and groom will be required to participate in our premarital mentoring ministry. You will participate in our premarital program. As a part of this, you will be matched with a mentor couple and will meet with them 6-8 times before your wedding date.
- We believe that marriage is the union between a man and a woman as defined in Genesis 2:24.
- The bride and groom need to abstain from sexual promiscuity and/or living together. Sex is a gift from God to be received in a marital union. The Bible gives us clear instructions for sex within the parameters of the marriage relationship (1 Corinthians 6:18-20, 1 Corinthians 7:2). Understanding this is God’s best for you and your marriage, we will ask you to abstain from sexual intimacy and living together.
- We suggest at least one year of legal divorce or time after the death of a spouse before considering remarriage. Chestnut Ridge Church believes a new relationship should not be pursued until the potential for a healthy reconciliation has been exhausted and time for personal recovery has passed.
- The bride and groom will meet with our Lifecare Director to discuss wedding details.
The premarital program is designed to help prepare engaged couples for strong, lasting marriages based on biblical principles. We want to see couples build the kind of foundation which allows them to have a marriage which will last a lifetime. We want to help every couple get started in their married life on a firm foundation. Each step in the premarital process has been designed with that end in mind. This process is required for couples wishing to be married at Chestnut Ridge Church or by one of our pastors/officiates.
The premarital process includes a few steps:
- Arrange to attend the marriage seminar or marriage sessions through the LifeCare Director. The cost (TBD) includes the necessary materials.
- Take the online inventory Prepare/Enrich ($35). This is an online tool which assesses a couple’s strengths and growth areas.
- Meet twice with one of our pastors/officiates and meet 6-8 times with a mentoring couple assigned to you.
- Have three follow-up sessions with your mentoring couple after you are married (2, 6 and 12 months into marriage).
BUILDING AVAILABILITY: As a part of the process, the LifeCare Director will work with you on the availability, location, reservation and various fees associated with having your wedding at Chestnut Ridge Church or performed by one of our pastors/officiates.
PASTOR/OFFICIATE FEES: An honorarium of $200-$300 is suggested for the officiating pastor.
WEDDING COORDINATOR: Chestnut Ridge Church has a wedding coordinator who will assist you with the wedding process in the days prior to your wedding at the church. You are welcome to have your own wedding coordinator to handle your flower, décor and wedding details, as the role of our coordinator is to guide and direct the day’s events.
NON-ATTENDEES: Having a wedding ceremony at Chestnut Ridge Church is reserved for those who regularly attend our weekend services as described in our Wedding Policies. If you are not yet a part of a local church community, we invite you to consider attending CRC and to get involved in developing a growing relationship with God and with others through our various ministries.
Additional questions can be submitted to email@example.com.
If you have read the Wedding Policies of Chestnut Ridge Church and would like to take the next step in being married, please fill out our Wedding Registration Form (click here).